Thursday, September 15, 2011

In other news...

Sorry, this isn't a real post, but it relates to some real posts!

I have a lot on my plate at the moment, so bear with me while I grind out the last 2 weeks of September. At this very moment, I'm working on two things. I'm going to be doing a guest post in the next week or so for a blog a good friend of mine runs. It's going to be different than my normal style, to be sure, and if you'd like to get a taste of what I'm getting myself into, you can find her blog HERE.

I'm also doing some editing for a dear friend of mine who is attempting to publish some of her writing. She has a few blogs, if you'd like to see her content, you can check out FROM WITHIN or my OK place. She has a couple of other blogs as well, all of which are linked into each other so if you see one you'll be able to navigate them all.

The project I'm editing for her has me stuck on a notion, and it will hopefully be something that will cook long enough for me to post it here by Monday, so be on the lookout for that.

One last plug: A good friend of mine has been on the online dating scene for a bit, and she's started a blog about it, and it looks like it's going to be some fun stuff. I would really appreciate it if you all checked it out, leave her a comment, etc. The more people who read it, the more often she's bound to update it, and I can't wait for more! you can find her here: Blonde Single and Awkward

As November approaches, I'll be gearing up for National Novel Writing Month. It's something I heard about last year, and this will be my first time participating. It's fairly straightforward: write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days, and if you finish, you win! To get some sense of scale out of that, look at my last post. that one was about 2500 words, and took me (between the original handwriting and then subsequent typing/editing) about... 6 hours total of pure writing time, so I would only need to write 20 of those in a month. Yeah.

In the end though, it's all about writing, not quality. You flex the muscles, the muscles get stronger.

Picture a show like Top Chef: Challengers are told to... I don't know, make a 3 course dinner using only squid, milk, some eggs, and a loaf of pumpernickel. Oh yeah, then you only have 45 minutes to do it. Sure, the dishes that come out in the end won't be as amazing as they would be if the contestants had more time and more ingredients, but that's not the point. The point is to make do with what we give you. Make something. Did you finish? Good. Is it tasty? Even better!

Except there's no elimination with this, just finish or not. There's no prize, no publishers, just the joy of the task. I believe you can set up a sponsorship to donate, but I'm not sure how to deal with that quite yet, I just signed up tonight. When the writing starts, you'll be able to follow my progress here, but don't worry about saving the link. As long as I actually face myself up to the task, I'll be linking the shit outta that.

Finally, I would like to thank all the people who have been reading and offering support. I never realized how essential writing was to me until the last year or so, and it has opened so many windows in my heart and mind. To have people read what I write, and then in turn get others to read it, I can't even describe what that feels like. You are all incredible, and I hope you continue to read what I write, and I hope you continue to enjoy it.

So do me a big favor, check out all the links I put on here for ya, read some fun and creative content by some of my incredibly talented friends, and stay tuned here for more of my shenanigans.

~Persagax

No comments:

Post a Comment